Comme des Garçons collectors are a tribe of sorts, who can confidently reference the colloquial names for past collections (“Lumps and Bumps,” et cetera) and who preserve their treasures with the precision of museum curators. Even the most devoted sneakerheads have nothing on these women.
As the Met Costume Institute prepares its retrospective on Rei Kawakubo, we spoke to three collectors — former press attachés Marion Greenberg and Miki Higasa, and Danielle Chung, a longtime collector and former Greenberg employee — about the stories behind some of their most closely guarded pieces. Click through the slideshow for a window into their troves.
- I Worked at Fyre Festival. It Was Always Going to Be a Disaster.
- The Married Mom Looking for Men at Balthazar
- The Philosophical Fascists of the Gay Alt-Right
- Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of May 1
- Teens Explain What Adults Don’t Get About 13 Reasons Why