Tesla Promises Autonomous Vehicle by 2016
In an age where technology overruns nearly every aspect of our lives, the autonomous car is poised to take position as the next big tech innovation in the auto industry. Google, Mercedes-Benz, and even Stanford University have all fiddled with the idea in the past, but none of them have been able to come up with a solid structure to get these vehicles out on the road, and into consumer hands.
That’s where Tesla comes in. In a recent Reuters report, the automaker dished out a more detailed plan to make mainstream the autonomous vehicle in its lineup by sometime around 2016. Musk — Tesla CEO and the man behind the idea — gave more of an in-depth look at just what such a vehicle would entail.
As of now, Musk says that only about 90 percent of the vehicle will be fully autonomous. The other 10 percent still relying on the know-how of the driver. Most of which, we assume, would be starting, stopping and minor adjustments to the vehicle while on the road.
Tesla opted for this semi-autonomous route rather than fully-autonomous due to the simple fact that production would be much quicker compared to time frames other automakers had stated previously regarding their autonomous adventures (about 10-15 years). We don’t doubt though that, with success of a semi-autonomous vehicle, a fully-autonomous one would be too far off in the Tesla lineup.
Pending a few legal hurdles and some consumer convincing, we fully expect Tesla to be filling the streets with these cognitive cars within the next few years.