2015 Nissan Cars Overview
With the exception of the funky and now-discontinued Cube, all of Nissan's regular sedan, hatchback, coupe, and convertible models return for 2015. Well, that's not entirely true--the aging Maxima, slated for replacement in 2016, will continue to be available as a 2014 model long after New Year's Eve parties have been enjoyed and new calendars have been hung.
As for Nissan's most popular family-friendly 4-door, the Altima, it is mostly unchanged, though the upper trim levels boast extra equipment and engineers have made tweaks that contribute to better fuel economy. The smaller Sentra sedan also features a more ample serving of standard features, along with new colors and option packages. This trend continues with the Versa sedan, and the fully electric 2015 Nissan Leaf.
Models that challenged the status quo include the 2015 370Z, which adds four new trim levels, revised suspension, and, for the first time, an optional automatic transmission for Nismo variants; the 2015 GT-R, a sports car that's now quieter than before, has been re-engineered to deliver greater handling and braking capabilities, and is available in 600-horsepower Nismo livery; and, at the other end of the spectrum, the compact and ultra-affordable 2015 Versa Note, featuring new SR and SL trim levels.
Offered in 2-door coupe and convertible body styles, the 2-passenger Nissan 370Z returns for 2015 with revised suspension tuning, new standard audio system, and several new trim levels. Among them is the Nismo Tech coupe, which features a 7-in. touch-screen navigation system, rearview camera, Bose audio, satellite radio, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror. Power for the rear-wheel-drive 2015 Nissan 370Z comes from a 3.7-liter V-6 engine.
- Sport, Sport Tech, Nismo Tech, and Touring Sport trim levels debut
- Retuned suspension
- Added standard features, including Bluetooth connectivity
- Upgraded audio system
- Black 18-in. alloy wheels on base and Touring models
- Updated styling (Nismo)
- Nismo now available with an automatic transmission
Nissan's popular midsize sedan has seen a number of noteworthy tweaks for 2015, including a slight fuel-economy gain for the available V-6, power front passenger seat with 4-way adjustment for top-of-the-line 2.5 SL and 3.5 SL variants, and a standard smartphone-linked navigation system in the 2015 Altima 3.5 SV and Altima 3.5 SL. Those premium trim levels also now boast standard blind-spot monitoring and lane-departure warning technology.
- Improved fuel economy
- Standard navigation system and added safety features on 3.5 SV and 3.5 SL trims
- Revised interior color combinations
- Automatic climate control paired with remote start system
- SL models add power passenger seat
It's difficult to imagine how one goes about making a supercar more super, but that's a feat Nissan has seemingly pulled off with its all-wheel-drive 2015 GT-R. In addition to 545-horsepower Premium and Black Edition models, the company is offering a new GT-R Nismo version that offers drivers 600 horsepower complemented by special body and chassis upgrades.
- 600-horsepower Nismo trim level
- Retuned chassis to improve handling and braking performance
- LED headlights
- Quieter cabin
- Regal Red paint color
- Optional hand-stitched Ivory interior
Aside from a small assortment of relatively minor changes, the 2015 Nissan Leaf is essentially a carryover from 2014, which was offered in S, SV, and SL trim levels. Enhancements for 2015 include a new exterior paint color, 17-in. alloy wheels for the SV and text-messaging capability for the SV and SL. All Leafs now allow drivers to shift into b-mode to capture more energy from the regenerative braking system when decelerating.
- Morning Sky Blue paint color
- Text-messaging capability on upper trim levels
- Base models add b-mode
- Standard 17-in. alloy wheels on SV
The story behind the 2015 Maxima, Nissan's flagship sedan, is a bit unusual. Simply put, the company will not be offering a 2015 model, but will instead continue to sell the 2014 version until the anticipated launch of an all-new 2016 Maxima based on the Sport Sedan Concept.
Buyers interested in the 2014 Maxima have their choice of 3.5 S and 3.5 SV trim levels, both equipped with a 290-horsepower V-6 engine that delivers output to the front wheels via a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with a downshift rev-matching feature.
- 2014 Maxima will continue to be sold during 2015 model year
Now in its second year since being completely redesigned, the Nissan Sentra sedan returns for 2015 with a number of upgrades, including the availability of cruise control, USB port, and Bluetooth connectivity on all trim levels. The FE+ package has been dropped from the SV variant and is now only offered on the base S model. However, the 2015 Sentra SV, as well as the SR and SL, adds a standard infotainment system bundled with a rearview camera and text-messaging capability. And, to further solidify its ranking within the Sentra hierarchy, the top-of-the-line SL now features leather upholstery.
- SV and SR trim levels add standard Driver packages
- Leather package standard on SL
- All variants feature standard cruise control, USB port, and Bluetooth connectivity
- Optional Appearance package
- Titanium, Red Alert, Cayenne Red, and Gun Metallic paint colors
- Infotainment system, rearview camera, and text-messaging capability standard on SV, SR, and SL
Like other Nissans, the Versa has been treated to few key updates for the 2015 model year, with perhaps the most obvious changes being redesigned bumpers and headlights that give the car a somewhat bolder appearance. In addition, the company has mixed up the color palette with a couple of new exterior paint options, padded the list of standard features with desirable amenities like Bluetooth connectivity, and upgraded the SL's optional Tech package by incorporating smartphone-linked apps and improved the voice-recognition software.
- Updated styling inside and out
- Added standard features, including Bluetooth connectivity
- Upgraded SL Tech package
- Graphite Blue and Amethyst Gray paint colors
Introduced as a stand-alone model in 2014, the small and efficient Nissan Versa Note 5-door hatchback enters its second year with a couple of key changes. At the top of the list is the debut of SR and SL trim levels, offering features such as Nissan's Easy-Fill tire-alert system, 16-in. alloy wheels, heated mirrors and front seats (SL), and, in the case of the SR, exterior enhancements designed to provide a sportier appearance.
- SR and SL trim levels introduced
- Bluetooth connectivity standard on all versions
- Reshaped exterior rearview mirror