Update privacy choices
News

Is Kevin Spacey’s Career Over? Christopher Plummer Replaces Actor As J. Paul Getty

Maria Vultaggio
Newsweek

While former House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey was getting treated at an Arizona facility for “sex addiction,” he was dropped from Ridley Scott’s finished film All the Money in the World on Wednesday, the Associated Press reported. Legendary actor Christoper Plummer is slated to replace Spacey, who did not immediately issue a statement. Neither did Scott.

The surprising part of the recast is that Scott wants to keep the December 22 released date. That means Plummer must begin reshoots immediately. He took over Spacey’s role as J. Paul Getty, the industrialist who was named by the the richest living American in1966 by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams, the two leads in the film, agreed to participate in the reshoots. Plummer, 87, was reportedly Scott’s first choice to play the role of the cold billionaire, but Scott was forced to pick a “bigger name” for the role, the AP reported. Plummer won an Oscar for his work on Beginners. He is best known for playing Captain Von Trapp in the 1965 film The Sound of Music.

Trending: Will Trump Snub Putin? U.S. Less Convinced About Meeting Than Moscow

It reportedly took Spacey 8 to 10 days to finish his part of the movie, which means Plummer doesn’t have much time for the reshoots, TMZ reported on Wednesday.

Kevin Spacey Christopher Plummer

Kevin Spacey (L) and Christopher Plummer (R) attend the 13th annual Monte Cristo Awards at The Edison Ballroom on April 15, 2013 in New York City. Plummer is slated to replace Spacey as J. Paul Getty in Ridley Scott's film "All the Money in the World." Getty Images

All the Money in the World was pulled from AFI Fest in Los Angeles on November 16 after sexual assault allegations were made against Spacey last week. The movie chronicles the kidnapping of Getty’s 16-year-old grandson, John Paul Getty III. His mother tries to persuade Getty to pay the random for her son after Italian gangsters captured him.

Don't miss: Trump Jr. Furious That 'POS' Bowe Bergdahl Could Get Army Payment For Taliban Captivity

The decision to remove Spacey from the film came a day after Heather Unruh, a former TV news anchor, accused Spacey of assaulted her son on Nantucket in July 2016. Unruh held a press conference, explaining her son was 18 years old when Spacey allegedly his genitals.

“I want to make it clear: This was a criminal act,” Unruh said. “It harmed him, and it cannot be undone.”

Spacey, 58, did not immediately respond to the allegations.

Most popular: Here's What Getting Killed By Molten Lava Would Look Like

He apologized on October 30 to actor Anthony Rapp, the first person to accuse Spacey of sexual assault. “I’m beyond horrified to hear his story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago,” Spacey said in his statement. “But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”

Some people took to Twitter after the replacement following the onslaught of sexual assault allegations, claiming Spacey’s career might be over. Not only was he recast in All the Money in the World, he was also fired from Netflix’s House of Cards. Some of their comments have been posted below:

More from Newsweek

Reactions

What to read next