• U.S.
    NBC News

    Girl, 11, gave birth to baby allegedly fathered by brother

    The 17-year-old boy told police he had sex with his sister about 100 times but did not know she was pregnant, according to charging documents.

  • U.S.
    Deadline

    CNN Anchor Anderson Cooper Loses It, Curses In Anger During Rod Blagojevich Interview

    CNN anchor Anderson Cooper lost his cool during a Friday night interview with newly released former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. In a contentious interview, Cooper finally boiled over after hearing Blagojevich's defense of his gubernatorial record and his criminal case. Blagojevich was convicted of trying to sell or trade the Illinois Senate seat that Barack […]

  • World
    Associated Press

    Colombians grapple with a big problem: wandering hippos

    Maria Jaramilla awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of her panicked mule. When she looked out across her small yard, her confusion turned to shock: A hippopotamus had wandered down her driveway and was inspecting her house. Since that night in 2018, the hippos have kept coming — wandering down the back streets of rural Doradal, a small Colombian town a four-hour drive from Medellin.

  • U.S.
    ABC News

    Missing Idaho 7-year-old Joshua Vallow seen on surveillance playing in front yard weeks before disappearance

    Home surveillance footage shows missing 7-year-old Joshua "JJ" Vallow days before he and his 17-year-old sister, Tylee Ryan, disappeared. The video, obtained by East Idaho News, shows JJ playing in the front yard of his home with friends and was shot on Sept. 17, nine days after he and Tylee were seen at Yellowstone National Park on Sept. 8 with their mother, Lori Daybell. The footage is the last image of JJ before his disappearance and is being used by police to piece together a timeline of the children's last known whereabouts.

  • U.S.
    CBC

    Before his death on the job, Sam Fitzpatrick told TV crew his worksite was 'pretty dangerous'

    Not long before Sam Fitzpatrick was crushed to death by a falling boulder on a Peter Kiewit Sons worksite on B.C.'s Central Coast, he gave an interview to a TV documentary crew about the risks of his work.Fitzpatrick, 24, was working as a rock scaler with his younger brother Arlen, and the November 2010 episode of the Discovery Channel program Mega Builders shows the pair hanging from ropes as they work to stabilize the steep slope of a hydroelectric project alongside Toba Inlet, north of Powell River."When you're going over rock cuts and there's loose rocks everywhere, you can get hit by rocks.… It's pretty dangerous for that," Fitzpatrick tells the producers."So far, it's been pretty good. We haven't got hit too bad."The rock that struck and killed him on Feb. 22, 2009, measured about 1.8 metres across, according to a WorkSafeBC investigation. Arlen was nearby, and watched helplessly as it happened.Watch: Sam Fitzpatrick speaks about the risks of his jobIn May, a little more than 10 years after that tragedy, Crown prosecutors announced that Kiewit and two former managers had been charged with criminal negligence causing death.It was the outcome that family and friends had been fighting for."I was truly amazed when it actually happened. I was bowled over that it was real," family friend Mike Pearson told CBC this week."I'm a big believer in this case and a big cheerleader for it, but I had some skeptical moments."But after that triumph, the last year has only brought more tragedy for Fitzpatrick's family. His mother, Christine Tamburri, died of cancer on Dec. 4 at the age of 65. Fitzpatrick's father, Brian Fitzpatrick, died in 2017 after years of advocating for accountability and criminal charges against Kiewit."It's almost too much to take, just tragedy piled on top of tragedy in this story," Pearson said.Company offers 'sincerest, deepest condolences'Saturday marks exactly 11 years since Fitzpatrick died.Just one day before the fatal rockfall, another boulder had tumbled down the same steep rock face, seriously damaging a piece of heavy equipment. A WorkSafeBC investigation later found that Kiewit had been running the site with a "reckless disregard" for safety.Thirty-three days have now been set aside, beginning in November, for a Vancouver provincial court judge to hear evidence against Kiewit. Company spokesman Bob Kula told CBC in an email that Kiewit did not "willfully contribute to or cause this fatality" and plans to fight the charge in court."We continue to offer our sincerest, deepest condolences to [Fitzpatrick's] family, friends and those who worked with him for their tragic loss," Kula said.Engineer Timothy Rule will also stand trial beginning in November. He makes an appearance in the Mega Builders episode about the Toba Inlet project, and tells the producers that the crew is dealing with challenging weather and tight deadlines."The main headaches right now are meeting our goals for the season before we get pushed out by snow," he says.Former Kiewit manager Gerald Karjala is also charged in Fitzpatrick's death, but he's currently in the U.S. and has not made an appearance in court.Watch: Sam and Arlen Fitzpatrick work on Toba Inlet projectKiewit is one of the largest construction companies in North America, with a long history of working on B.C. infrastructure projects like the SkyTrain system, the new Port Mann Bridge and the Sea-to-Sky Highway.Since the criminal charges were laid on May 31, the company has lost out on two major B.C. government contracts: the $1.377-billion replacement of the Pattullo Bridge and the Highway 91/17 upgrades in Delta.A transportation ministry spokesperson would not comment on whether the criminal charges were a factor in those decisions, but described the procurement process as "open, fair and competitive."At the federal level, Kiewit has had more success, and was recently awarded the $17.6-million federal contract to clean up the landslide at Big Bar. The Government of Canada's Integrity Regime does bar companies from being awarded federal contracts if they are charged or convicted of certain crimes — including fraud, bribery and drug trafficking — but criminal negligence causing death isn't one of them.Unanswered questionsThere's still nearly nine months to go before Kiewit's criminal trial begins, but Pearson said he hopes that extra time will allow prosecutors to gather the best possible case.Now that both of Fitzpatrick's parents are gone, Pearson plans to take up their search for answers.He said he's trying to learn all he can about the WorkSafeBC investigation into Fitzpatrick's death, which led to a $250,000 fine against Kiewit. He's also trying to get a better understanding of why the Workers' Compensation Appeal Tribunal (WCAT) reduced that penalty to less than $100,000 after Kiewit appealed.Pearson is particularly curious about one line in the WCAT decision, which states that Fitzpatrick's union, the Christian Labour Association of Canada (CLAC), had argued a precedent-setting fine "was not appropriate given the employer's prior demonstrated commitment to safety."Pearson wants to know, "How did the CLAC union end up supporting the company and not supporting the dead worker?" CLAC was not involved in the pursuit for a criminal investigation into Fitzpatrick's death. The United Steelworkers, which had no direct connection to the fatal incident, helped Brian Fitzpatrick advocate for accountability. CLAC spokespeople did not respond to requests for comment on this story.

  • World
    The Daily Beast

    Coronavirus Explodes in Italy, Threatening Europe. Can It Be Contained?

    ROME—The word quarantine comes from 17th-century Venetian dialect for 40 days, which was the amount of time ships had to wait in isolation before entering certain Italian ports during the pandemic known as the Black Death. Now the word is being used again in Italy, applied to the  government’s draconian reaction as the coronavirus and the disease known as COVID-19 appear to be hitting the country with a vengeance. More than 50,000 Italians living in 10 communities are literally locked down, facing jail sentences and fines if they leave their homes, thanks to the largest outbreak outside Asia. Our Experts Answer the Coronavirus Questions You’re Afraid to AskThe towns, all in the north of the country, are cut off from the rest of Italy now, not even the trains stop when they roll through. The church services are cancelled and dipping one’s hand in holy water is strictly prohibited. Three major Serie A soccer games in the area have been postponed, and schools have all been closed for the foreseeable future. Anyone defying the restrictions faces three months in jail and a fine of around $250. But all across the country, paranoia is spreading faster than the virus. Giorgio Armani tweeted that he will now hold his Fall 2020 show behind closed doors in Milan this week, livestreaming the runway from an empty theater. The mayor of Milan, a city of more than 1.3 million people, announced Sunday that all schools and universities will be closed for at least a week even though the city is not locked down under the current quarantine.In Rome, nervous taxi drivers outside Fiumicino Airport were hesitant to pick up Asian passengers and a Chinese woman in Turin reported being assaulted for simply being Chinese.Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced that all scholastic trips into and out of the country are suspended, including one involving this reporter’s son who was pulled from a flight to Budapest along with 30 other students early Sunday morning. Matteo Salvini, the leader of the far-right League party wants to close the frontier, though countries that border Italy are likely thinking the same thing from their side. An outbreak this extensive and virulent is likely to impact all of Western Europe very quickly, if not with the disease itself, then with precautions taken to try to stop it.Since Friday, Italian authorities have confirmed more than 150 new cases, including three fatalities, in the north of the country. Three people, including two Chinese tourists, who were confirmed positive in Rome last month have since recovered and are no longer believed to be contagious. Coronavirus Spread by a Second Coming ‘Cult’ Has Put South Korea on ‘Maximum Alert’A Chinese tourist died in France earlier this month, but the deaths in Italy are the first Europeans killed by the virus. Both of the Italian victims were in their 70s. The first was a man who died in hospital, and who also suffered from other respiratory problems. The second was a woman found dead in her home on Saturday morning, clearly unaware she even had the virus. It is unknown how many people may have been in contact with her.The quick spread of the disease in this outbreak and the uncertainty about how it came to Italy is especially troubling. In the northern town of Codogno, near Milan, the 39 people who initially tested positive are all tied to the local hospital and a so-called “Patient Zero” who was thought to have brought it back from Shanghai. The problem is that “Patient Zero” never tested positive for the virus. Authorities think he may have been a silent carrier, infecting a friend referred to as “Patient One” whose only tie to China was being a friend of “Patient Zero.” Authorities at first thought “Patient Zero” had the virus and recovered, but they concede that, in fact, there may be another source. Clearly, this is not a perfect science.On Sunday morning, the regional governor of Lombardy, Attilo Fontana, confirmed that 89 people have now tested positive for the virus and a much larger but unspecified number are referred to as suspect cases.The second hotspot is in the Veneto region, near Venice, which is celebrating Carnevale to somewhat diminished crowds. Twelve people in the region have tested positive even though none of them has ever been to mainland China or, as far as is known at this point, been in contact with any obvious vectors.  Eight Chinese residents, two of whom came back from Wuhan through via Germany, are under quarantine—but they have not tested positive. It is yet unclear if that cluster will grow. Other cases in Turin and Milan confirmed Sunday morning have spread the panic even further. Closing down such major metropolitan hubs would be a logistical and economic disaster.Prime Minister Conte says the situation is “fluid” and will be evaluated as the situation warrants. Read more at The Daily Beast.Got a tip? Send it to The Daily Beast hereGet our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.