• After eating just one chip, NHRA drag racer says: ‘I seriously thought I was going to die’

    It likely will be a long time before NHRA Pro Stock driver Alex Laughlin takes on another challenge. Heres why.

  • Ex-Bush Aide Has Damning Theory For Why Trump Supporters Won't Turn On Him

    The former aide to President George W. Bush reveals why Trump's base lives in a "hermetically sealed world."

  • Porn Producers Are Charged With Sex Trafficking

    In a case that could test the online pornography industry, the owners and two employees of two popular pornographic websites were charged this week with sex trafficking and other crimes, accused of coercing several women to engage in sex videos that were posted on the internet.According to a criminal complaint, the owners and employees "used deception and false promises" to lure women who had answered modeling advertisements on Craigslist to participate in the videos, telling them that their identities would be shielded and that the videos would not be posted online.The owners, Michael James Pratt, 36, and Matthew Isaac Wolfe, 37, and one employee, Ruben Andre Garcia, 31, were each charged with three counts of sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion, and one count of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion.A second employee, Valorie Moser, 37, who the authorities said helped recruit the women, was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion.Wolfe, Garcia and Moser pleaded not guilty. Wolfe and Garcia were being held in federal custody Friday and the authorities said Pratt had left the country and was considered a fugitive.Pratt, Wolfe and Garcia are currently on trial in a civil case in San Diego Superior Court that mirrors the criminal filing. In that case, 22 women said they were tricked into performing in internet pornography.Ed Chapin, the lead trial lawyer representing the 22 women, called the alleged scheme "outrageous.""It is despicable," he said, "and I am glad that the feds are stepping up and that they've seen it and are doing something about it."Corey D. Silverstein, a First Amendment lawyer based in Michigan whose practice is focused on issues of pornography and similar entertainment, said this was the first case he knew of in which a content producer was prosecuted under these types of charges."The government has a pretty high burden," he said. "They have to be able to show that someone knowingly recruited, enticed, harbored and patronized a person and then gained value from it." He said he was "not convinced the government has a case," adding, "Was the line crossed from content production to sex trafficking?"In court filings, Pratt and Wolfe, who own the websites GirlsDoPorn and GirlsDoToys, said the women had signed contracts that stated the videos they appeared in could be "used anywhere, anyhow, for any purpose."The women also recorded videotaped statements stating that they consented to the videos being used in any way and were not under the influence of drugs or mind-altering substances, according to civil filings from the defendants.Mary Anne Franks, a law professor at the University of Miami who is the president of the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative, said many women in the pornography industry have lodged similar complaints of coercion but have not felt comfortable telling anyone. Or, she said, they were afraid that complaints would lead to their not working again."There's just a massive amount of fraud and coercion," said Franks, who coproduced a documentary about the world of amateur pornography. "It's a very welcome development that all porn companies will be put on notice that there is an appetite to investigate these cases."Significant criminal charges have not been brought by federal authorities against pornography producers for more than a decade. In 2008, Paul F. Little was sentenced to 46 months in jail after being convicted on multiple obscenity charges.Last year, a federal law strengthened the policing of sex trafficking online.Southern California, especially the San Fernando Valley, has historically been home to major pornography studios and producers, but the internet has made it possible for anyone with a cellphone camera to produce and upload explicit content. And the internet involves interstate commerce, which is regulated by the federal authorities."Traffickers use many ways to trick, coerce and manipulate," said Samantha Vardaman, vice president of Shared Hope International, a nonprofit organization that seeks to rescue victims of sex trafficking. "These brave women suffered exploitation and exposure but they are using the legal remedies to get control back. With the extraordinary abuses of the internet, we will surely see more criminal activity like this."Mike South, a former pornography producer who has chronicled the inner workings of the business for his blog MikeSouth.com, said he hoped the case would encourage young women to exercise caution before answering online advertisements in the future."There might be a few girls that will read about it and take heed," he said.Brian Gross, who has worked closely with pornography producers and actors for more than two decades, applauded the criminal charges."I hope it makes people take this industry as a legitimate business," Gross said. "If you think you're going to come in here and behave in this kind of manner you know there will be consequences."This article originally appeared in The New York Times.(C) 2019 The New York Times Company

  • U.S. Forces Reportedly Preventing Syrian Regime Forces from Helping Kurds Fight Turkey

    Khalil Ashawi/ReutersGAZIANTEP, Turkey-After five days of fighting, Turkish forces and their Syrian National Army (SNA) allies took over the strategic border crossing of Tal Abyad from the largely Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) on Sunday afternoon, marking the first significant battlefield victory of the campaign. Following the city’s fall, Turkish and SNA forces made a beeline 45km south toward the city of Ain Aissa, located along the M4 highway, northern Syria’s largest freeway and main artery facilitating travel throughout the region. The day before, Hevrin Khalaf, a prominent SDF civil figure and general secretary of the self-governing region’s largest political party, was gunned down on the highway when her convoy was attacked by Turkish-backed SNA forces. Videos surfacing shortly afterward showed Turkish backed forces triumphantly setting up checkpoints along the highway and detaining alleged SDF fighters.The U.S. Spoiled a Deal That Might Have Saved the Kurds, Former Top Official SaysSeizing additional points along the road would enable Turkish-SNA forces to drive a wedge between the SDF’s eastern and western held territories and seriously disrupt the group’s supply lines during future battles. It would also constitute a southward extension far past any depth agreed upon during previous negotiations between Ankara and Washington for the establishment of a “safe zone”. However the assault on Ain al-Aissa was perhaps most significant due to the presence of nearly 1,000 ISIS members being held at a sprawling SDF prison northwest of the city. By Sunday evening, as the Turkish assault was underway, more than 750 would end up escaping as SDF and U.S. forces reportedly withdrew from the area entirely.Abd al-Qadr Muwwahad, a prominent SDF humanitarian affairs official claimed that Turkish shelling outside the camp in addition to riots carried out by detainees pushed the camp’s internal security forces to flee. Regional media outlets would cite other Kurdish officials claiming that they simply didn’t have the manpower to both fend off Turkish attacks and continue to administer ISIS facilities. The escapes should have been expected. The day before, on Saturday evening, as the Turkish campaign intensified, YPG spokesman Redur Xelil gave a press conference in a secure underground bunker. “Securing ISIS detention centers or chasing sleeper cells is not our priority”, he said. “We are solely focused on fighting Turkish aggression and protecting our people from it. [The] world can handle [the] ISIS issue if they really care about it.”Such shocking words from a group that has spent the last four years destroying ISIS’ territorial caliphate show the desperation that has gripped Kurdish ranks in light of Donald Trump’s overnight decision to pull U.S. troops from the region.“We were betrayed and disappointed by our friends”, added Xelil, justifying the lack of focus on ISIS saying, “we are currently fighting two battles, one against ISIS and one defending ourselves against Turkey”. These statements do not bode well considering ISIS already has managed to carry out attacks since the campaign began. On Friday, ISIS took responsibility for a car bomb in the city of Qamishli that killed and injured an unspecified number of bystanders. On Sunday, ISIS also claimed responsibility for a series of Katyusha rocket attacks fired on a U.S. military base in the eastern city of al-Shadadi. In Manbij, the SDF claimed to have foiled the efforts of an ISIS suicide bomber to detonate himself on the city’s eastern outskirts. Although ISIS cells have launched a protracted insurgency throughout SDF territory since having lost their final stronghold of Baghuz in March 2019, the current fighting gives the group new gaps to exploit in carrying out attacks against all parties to the conflict. * * *BLOCKING THE REGIME* * *In addition to Kobani, Tal Abyad, Ras al-Ain and more recently a base at Tal Baydar, the U.S. pullout from Ain Aissa would represent the fifth since the Turkish campaign began. However farther south and west, US forces would hold firm and play a direct role in holding off advances by pro-Assad and Russian forces. Late Sunday would witness a massive mobilization and expansion of Assad regime forces throughout the region as reinforcements for the SDF, in a move widely expected and previously proposed by the Kurdish group during earlier bouts of tension with Turkey. In Manbij, one of only two territories held by the SDF west of the Euphrates river, reports of Assad regime forces spreading throughout the city’s northern environs began by early morning. “At 10.a.m., I got calls from my family telling me they heard regime forces were carrying out new patrols in the towns of al-Jamusia, al-Zanfal, Arab Hassan, and Majlud,” claimed Mustafa Khaild, an opposition activist living in exile who has been documenting war crimes carried out in his home town by all parties to the Syrian conflict for eight years. “Locals are living in a state of paralysis, absolute terror,” he said. “The regime hasn’t been in Manbij for seven years. Our city was home to one of the most powerful anti-Assad movements early on in the revolution. Many revolutionaries and their families still live in the city. If the regime returned it would be a bloodbath, acts of retribution would never end.” Videos showing armed convoys raising regime flags spreading across the countryside north of the city along the SDF’s front line with Turkish and SNA forces later circulated across social media amid rumors that an agreement had been struck between the SDF and the regime to jointly ward off any impending Turkish assault. Russian pro-Kremlin ANNA News reporter Oleg Blokhin, who recently covered Russia’s and Assad’s August takeover of Khan Sheikhoun in addition to Russian private military contractors’ training of pro-Assad militias, put up a live stream from Manbij’s city square in what many felt was the preamble to a Russian advance.The news came as a shock to Turkish-backed opposition leaders in exile involved in plans for the assault. “As far as we had heard from the Turks, Free Syrian Army forces would be allowed to enter the city as per an agreement reached between Turkey and the United States,” claimed Aimad al-Hanaydhil, a member of the Manbij Revolutionary Council (MRC) in exile, a Syrian opposition body that liberated and controlled the city from July 2012 until ISIS’ takeover in January 2014. “However since 4:00 p.m. today we began hearing about an agreement between SDF and the regime regarding the handing over of Manbij and Kobani to the regime, which came as a surprise.” Trump Says U.S. Troops Have Quit Syria. It’s Not True.The city of Manbij has served as a point of contention for U.S.-Turkish relations since at least June 2018, when the U.S. and Turkey announced the formation of the “Manbij Roadmap,” a plan to transfer control of the city from the SDF to a new administration overseen jointly by Turkey and the U.S. The Americans’ failure to make any progress toward this end has served as one of several main grievances held by Turkey that prompted Ankara’s most recent campaign in the north.Rumors of an Assad regime expansion elsewhere also began to emerge. Raqqa is Being Silently Slaughtered reported that pro-regime tribal militias were gathering near the al-Risafa and Albu Hamad areas south of Raqqa city preparing to attack the SDF held cities of Tabqa, Mansoura, and other towns in the surrounding countryside. At Kobani, where U.S. troops were attacked and evacuated two days before, the SDF announced a formal agreement reached with Moscow for Russia and pro-Assad troops to enter the city. * * *RUSSIA WARNS THE TURKS* * *The official Facebook page for the Russian Defense Ministry’s Hmeimim base issued a stern warning to Turkey, acknowledging that Russian forces would enter the city, stating, “We hope the Turkish side and it’s allied forces will restrain themselves and not behave recklessly in entering an open war with government troops.”Later in the night SDF forces released a similar statement announcing the group’s formal acceptance of regime forces deploying to all areas throughout the group’s “self administration” area as reinforcements against Turkey. Shortly after, regime troops spread throughout the majority of Hasakah city, the provincial capital and major SDF administrative center, amid large celebratory pro-regime demonstrations there and in Qamishli. In an op-ed written in Foreign Policy, SDF commander Mazloum Abdi described the decision as an attempt to, “save the lives of millions of people who live under our protection”. However before long, Syrian regime forces suffered a series of setbacks halting their advance-setbacks invflicted, surprisingly, by U.S. forces. South of Raqqa, near the towns of al-Risafa, Tabqa and Mansoura, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and Raqqa is Being Silently Slaughtered reported that U.S.-coalition aircraft were circling above regime positions. Shortly after, both outlets would claim U.S. aircraft bombed regime positions in order to prevent them from advancing. In Manbij, local activists in Manbij soon began reporting that rumors of a regime advance in Manbij similar to that in Hasakah and elsewhere were overblown rumors. “The Assad regime patrols along the north Aleppo countryside were temporary. They didn’t set up any new positions and quickly returned to their bases in al-Arima,” according to Khaild, referring to a small town west of Manbij in SDF territory that Russian and pro-Assad forces have occupied since 2017.  Khaild and other activists interviewed by The Daily Beast confirmed that US troops stationed at the al-Sa’idi’a military base on the western outskirts of Manbij city carried out a series of their own patrols parallel to pro-Assad forces, warding off the latter and forcing them to abandon the front line. As in al-Risafa, U.S. aircraft would also circle above the city, in a clear effort to demonstrate that, although U.S. forces may have withdrawn in the face of Turkish advances, they would not do so for the regime.Some began to believe the SDF had purposefully exaggerated the extent of the regime’s reinforcements as a pre-emptive measure to intimidate Turkish and SNA forces into not attacking the city. Since early in the day, SNA forces stationed along the demarcation line of SDF controlled Manbij had launched three separate attacks on the city. However the tentative SDF-Assad alliance failed to deter Turkish forces in any way. They had mobilized a large contingent of SNA reinforcements at the Sajur river, the dividing line between SNA and SDF territory. Social media would be abuzz with videos of Turkish convoys with dozens of armored vehicles heading to the front line. By 11:00 p.m., locals would report renewed joint Turkish-SNA assaults launched on SDF positions. Adnan Hajj Muhammad Abu Faysal, commander of the Manbij Military Council in exile, whose forces mobilized throughout the day along the border with Manbij said, “rumors surrounding the arrival of regime reinforcements in Manbij are false. SDF forces simply carried out their own patrols while hoisting Syrian regime flags in an attempt o make it seem as if they had received a wave of new reinforcements.”In response to Russia’s warning that Turkey “not behave recklessly,” Yassin Iqta’i, an advisor to President Erdogan would say in an interview with the Russian Sputnik network, “the Turkish army will resist any advance by the regime towards Manbij”, adding that, “the regime isn’t strong enough to confront Turkey, and if they are, then bring it on.” Youssef al-Hamud, official SNA spokesman, would reiterate that Assad reinforcements in Manbij were a rumor. “The battle for Manbij will begin shortly,” he claimed. But Manbij, a city of at least 100,000, far larger than Tal Abyad, will take a much more powerful force than that which took Tal Abyad. As Turkey’s military campaign in Syria enters it’s next phase, the United States will find itself increasingly under pressure to adopt a clear position, or withdraw. Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.

  • Kellyanne Conway: Joe Biden is now seen in the news as Hunter Biden's father, not Obama's vice president

    Counselor to President Trump, Kellyanne Conway, weighs in on Hunter Biden's overseas business dealings, the Democrats impeachment push and Trump's phase one deal with China.

  • Take A Look Back at Queen Elizabeth, Princess Diana, and Other Royals on Their Tours of Pakistan

    The British monarch and her family have been visiting the country for decades.From Town & Country